It is done! Finally.
My darling little Anglepoise 1227 is fully restored!
Some of you may recall the drama when I started tallying up the costs of restoring my eBay ‘bargain’ and realised it wasn’t really going to be a bargain at all, but a labour of love.
And when I say labour, I truly mean it! Many months later and a lot of hard work, and I am ready to share at long last.
(I will be posting this in 2 parts so that it isn’t too long, and those who are interested in the process for their own project can follow it through more easily.)
Some of you may remember the eBay shot from back in September of 2011 that started it all:
It worked amazingly well, and you can barely see the wobbles now, when looking straight on. I also gave the inside of the shade a brush finish to clean it up.
…added an inline switch and new plug – which I got from the recycling depot, so free – and pirated the springs off my Type 75, as I figured the older 1227 has seniority.
I also replaced the cord with twisted silver flex from Urban Cottage Industries which I felt would blend a bit instead of contrasting like the black.
I also had to fix the little spacer plastic bit you can just see at the lower left of the picture above, as one of the plastic pegs had snapped off, so had to drill into it and glue a piece of pen into it to hold it in place.
So… that is the simple bits done.
Later this week I will post on the brutal hinge reconstruction – which was an utter bi-atch.
Stay tuned if I haven’t lost you on all this technical stuff!