My eagerly awaited Erik Hansen/Le Klint Scissor lamp arrived a few days ago, and I immediately started to get it ready for the wall.

For once I remembered to take a series of photos of my restoration and rewiring to document the process…those moments of bricking it when I couldn’t get the fixing back into the light holder/scissor section (bad, bad moments)…the relief when I did…

So naturally my camera somehow deleted the photos when I uploaded to the computer. Grrr. Hiss.

Luckily a precious few remained of the ‘before’ shots, so I can continue with my intended before and after-ing!

The shade was in worse condition than I initially thought, with a lot of crinkling and creasing in all the wrong places and the tension was gone due to missing and stretched out elastic.

Amazingly, as you can see on the right, I managed to get most of the wrinkles out and reshaped the shade by heating the vinyl with scorching hot water and re-pleating. (If anyone cares to know exactly how, please get in touch.)

I also replaced the  missing and worn elastic which is meant to hold the tension of the shade with fishing line. This last bit took me ages, and it became quite clear why the elastic is used, as it would have made it much easier. However, the fishing line won’t break down with age and did the same job.

You can still see a bit of the creases on one side, but the other is almost pristine. I am quite pleased with my efforts.

On arrival I turned the lamp arm over and saw the faint stamp on the right – a dead ringer for the Le Klint logo, shown on the right, that I have seen in photos for auctions on other Erik Hansen scissors:

As it was listed as a ‘Panton’ lamp, before it arrived I did have slight doubts as to whether I truly had scored an original Erik Hansen scissor lamp at a huge bargain, or if it was a replica. The shape was so obviously Le Klint, though, that I took a leap and bought it anyway. I have to say had a smug moment of jigging for joy when I saw the stamp (yes, Flatley is still weeping).

As the old wire looked worn and a bit ghetto, I cut it off and ordered some beautiful, braided, red fabric flex to replace it.

Then I wiped down the wood with sugar soap and gently wire-wooled away paint flecks that didn’t come off, then gave it a fresh teak oiling.

Lastly I rewired the lamp, added a cutely shaped vintage plug that is a similar aged honey colour as the shade, and hung it.

And here is my precious, fully installed and feeling fabulous!

Welcome to the Roost, little eagle.

Advertisements